Welcome to Dinosaur Ridge. You have an exciting day ahead of you!
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO
Things to bring:
- Water, jacket, hat, sunscreen, and snacks.
- Good walking shoes. Your camera. Your friends or family.
- The desire to learn about the creatures that walked the earth millions of years ago.
Location, Hours, and Prices:
- Main Visitor Center (16831 W. Alameda Parkway, Morrison): EAST SIDE
- Discovery Center (17681 W. Alameda Parkway, Golden): WEST SIDE
- Hours: Our grounds, museums, and bus tours operate at varying times depending on the time of year. Please click here for all of the details.
- Prices: $8 includes a 45-minute guided bus tour on Dinosaur Ridge and admission to Trek Through Time, our indoor exhibit hall.
PLEASE NOTE: Tickets can only be purchased in our Main Gift Shop. Be sure to make the Gift Shop your first stop when you arrive.
- Children ages 3 and under are always free at Dinosaur Ridge.
- Last guaranteed bus ticket is sold at 3:30 PM (summer season) or 2:30 PM (winter season). If you arrive after these times, you will likely be able to purchase a tour ticket, but we cannot absolutely guarantee availability.
- Thanksgiving Day: All day
- Christmas Day (December 25): All Day
- New Year’s Day (January 1): All Day
- During snowy or severe weather, some of our sites may be inaccessible or our tour buses might not be running. If in doubt, give us a call at 303-697-3466 after 9 AM to confirm we are open.
WHEN YOU ARRIVE
- Enter our main parking lot at the front gate at 16831 W. Alameda Parkway, Morrison. Look for the iron Dinosaur Ridge sign with the dinosaur greeting you.
- When you pull through the gate, you will see parking on your right. (our north lot is reserved for Dinosaur Ridge staff. Please find an empty spot on the south side of our Gift Shop.)
- Restrooms are located in the cinder block building on the east side of the parking lot.
- Our Gift Shop is where you’ll find everything you need to start your day: maps, tickets, information.
WHAT TO DO
Step 1: Head to our gift shop (Just past the “Bus Stop”). You can follow the yellow dinosaur footprints to the front door.
Step 2: Discuss your day with our gift shop staff.
Do you want to:
Our world-famous Bones Quarry, Crocodile Creek, Dinosaur Tracksite, and Brontosaur Bulges are located on Dinosaur Ridge (the closed section of W. Alameda Parkway southwest of our Main Visitor Center)
You have several options to get there:
- You can walk from our visitor center in the pedestrian lane along W. Alameda Parkway to the East Gate. From here, you’ll begin your 1.5-mile walk up the paved road. At the curve, you can head down the west side of the ridge.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are walking, our tour buses cannot pick you up. To see all of our sites, be prepared for 3 miles round-trip with an uphill climb for half of your journey. You might also find a parking spot on the shoulder of Alameda Parkway close to the East Gate. You can park along the road and begin your walking adventure from there.
- Purchase a shuttle bus ticket. You can board the bus at the Bus Stop just in front of the Main Visitor Center Gift Shop. Please arrive at the bus stop 15 minutes before your designated time. Your bus tour will be a 45-minute guided tour with stops at most of our main attractions. Click here for information on bus tour times.
PLEASE NOTE: Buses only leave from the Main Visitor Center Bus Stop.
THINGS TO REMEMBER AT DINOSAUR RIDGE
- We are an outdoor museum. This means that our fossils, bones, and you are exposed to the elements. Please bring a jacket, a hat, sunscreen, and plenty of water.
- We have water and soda available for purchase in our Main Visitor Center Gift Shop.
- We do not have an on-site restaurant. During the summer you can visit our Stegosaurus Snack Shack for granola bars, candy and other snacks, but we recommended bringing your own lunch or snacks if you will be hungry on the Ridge.
- picnicMain Visitor Center Gift Shop.
- Please deposit all trash in our designated trash and recycling bins.
- There are port-o-lets located on the Ridge (on the east side just uphill from the main tracksite)
- No climbing or collecting
- Hiking trail – Jefferson County Open Space maintains a trail on top of the Ridge.
- Take advantage of our interpretive signs along the Ridge to learn about the paleontology, geology, and natural history of Dinosaur Ridge and Colorado.
- Although the Ridge is closed to vehicular traffic, we have many cyclists who enjoy Dinosaur Ridge along with our pedestrian walkers. Please stay in the walking lane—the side closest to the Ridge during your journey.
- Our indoor exhibit hall, Trek Through Time, is located in our historic Barn building, located behind (north) of the Gift Shop. You will need to purchase a ticket in our Gift Shop for admittance to Trek Through Time. Our volunteer docents are filled with knowledge and love sharing it with our visitors.
- We also have complimentary interpretive center and gift shop at our Discovery Center (on the west side of Dinosaur Ridge, near Red Rocks Entrance Gate #1).
WHAT ELSE CAN I DO AT DINOSAUR RIDGE?
- Enjoy a picnic on our grounds.
- Purchase a souvenir in one of our Gift Shops
- Sluice Mining
- Sift for fossils in the Benton Seaway Box
- Uncover a Dinosaur in our Backyard Bones area
HOW CAN I REMEMBER MY VISIT?
- Take lots pictures. You can post them with the hashtag #DinoRidge and join a group of thousands who have commemorated their visit.
- Like us on social media: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram.
- Purchase a souvenir in one of our Gift Shops. We have t-shirts, stuffed animals, rocks, fossils, and much more.
- Become a member of Dinosaur Ridge. Purchase a membership and enjoy discounts in the Gift Shop, invitations to special events, and more.
- Become a volunteer at Dinosaur Ridge. Learn more about volunteering and get involved today.
MAKE A DAY OF IT